Friday, August 5, 2011

Once more domesticated

At last, I finally stopped leaving my fur on the furniture, stopped soiling the carpets, and have learned to keep the food in and over the bowl, oh, and I started quilting and making jam again.  My sister has an apricot tree loaded with the delicious fruit and she’s given me two bags full to use how I will.  I made jam and syrup (the syrup was a mistake but still functional and tasty).  The jam turned out perfectly and the first jar is nearly gone.  I can hardly wait for the tomatoes to get ripe for salsa.   I’m really a beginner when it comes to vegetable gardens and get such a thrill when things ripen for the picking and really peeved when I find a bug treating my labors like his own open market.  Along with dealing with the demise of bugs, I learned you need to plant several rows of corn together so they can help each other in the pollinating process but, miraculously, even my two short rows have 5 red silk topped ears growing out of the stalks’ sides.

IMG_8367 [640x480]

As for the quilts, I am in the process of using up the fabric I already have.  It’s been so fun, trying to see what will go with what.  I’ve been working on a scrap quilt, soooo fun and soooo easy, and will show it once I finish it.  My sister Dani just had her birthday and I was able to put together a  nap/throw blanket for her.

IMG_8376 [640x480]

I loved this one so much I almost kept it for myself.  Don’t those fabrics just say, “happy?”  Who could possibly have a nightmare while cuddled up napping in this garden of poppies, hibiscus, lemons and polka-dots (I’m sure polka-dots could be found somewhere in a garden)?  Sweet dreams Dani and Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

The DeGiulio's said...

Love the quilt it turned out beautifully. I'd love to learn how to make home made jam its so delicious. Every time we walk by your house I admire your garden. We finally finished our garden area & we've only been in our house for almost 4 years now. Im excited to plant next Spring so you'll have to give me some tips.

Deanne said...

Cute quilt. Can't wait to see your scrap quilt. I love the idea of quilting - picking out fabrics and creating a pattern, but have never actually assembled one from start to finish. I'm impressed (especially when you have two 1 year olds running around). I only have Archer and I feel like I can't get a thing done. Good for you!

mommymuse said...

So jealous of the quilting! I miss that! Dani's quilt is gorgeous. I agree--happy is the right word to describe it! And now jam making, too. You're making me feel hopelessly inferior in the domestic goddess arena, Becky :).