Davey Jones Gets Sick on Fast Roller coaster while carefully removing tail feathers from wild turkey…

IMG_2602 [640x480] After finally making it past the agricultural station, waving our bag of grapes at the fruit police, and saying “we waited that long for her to say she didn’t want our stinking grapes,” we made it to my parents house.  My dad drove back with us from St. George and took on his two grandsons, Reed and Douglas while we were left with the very polite and not too whiney Isaac.  When we divided and, in my mind, conquered the car occupants, we didn’t bother reminding my dad that the twins can riddle the unsuspecting and unprepared adult mind with questions that, once answered, will leave the listener unconscious or leaking brain fluids.  It’s a good thing my dad has bad hearing, or at least claims he does, or we might have not known or recognized him upon our arrival.

You will not see any pictures of moi as I am currently shy of cameras, the gym, and a healthy diet…sorry, but I have ultimate power since this is MY blog, ah-ha-ha-haaa….

Day 1:  Riley’s Apple Farm  Up the canyon from Yucaipa is a place called Oak Glen (a glen is a type of meadow, we had to explain when the boys asked, that it’s the kind of place that Sleeping Beauty likes to meet Princes in, “Tonight…meet me in the wood cutter’s cottage in the glen!”)  At this farm they had a couple of tours that took you back in time to either the early Frontier or the Revolutionary war era.  We took the Revolution which included a hike up to some goats and sheep which we each got to hold, pet, and milk.  Prior to this we learned how to write with quills made from Turkey feathers.  Our guide was sure to let us know that no turkey’s were harmed in the obtaining of their quills.  I nearly shed a tear until I was informed of this.  PETA would have been after these guys as fast as Obama killing a fly...  This was very educational and was the main reason for the next day’s collection of seagull feathers at the beach.

Day 2:  The beach!!!!  So, along with the seashells, abalone’s, and sand, the boys collected seagull feathers.  They must have forgotten that the recommended quills were made from turkey and goose feathers.  The day was perfect in weather and water temperature.  I was still too chicken to swim out to the buoy with my mom.  California coast water isn’t the crystal clear stuff of Hawaii and I’d much prefer see whichever creature it is that will bite at my legs and drag me down to Davey Jones's locker (very stinky place, stinky sea-socks everywhere not to mention the nasty infestation of flipper-foot. Ha-ha!  Sorry..).  The boys spent most of the time running into the water and then running faster out of it.  Isaac and Chris dug for sand crabs (I don’t know what they’re really called), Isaac was building sand castles, and then putting the sand crabs into the castles, too cute! 

Day 3:  Visited with long lost family.  We found them and spent the day with them.  My aunt Heidi has a pool and so the boys got to sport their beach tans and swim with their cousins.  Poor aunt Heidi, while trying to thwart the possible fall of a child into the pool, lost her balance and fell in herself.  Only after she knew her grandson was okay did she delicately use her signature expletive, too funny!  My sister Dani couldn’t be there as she was allowing a doctor to stick a needle in her back while extracting spinal fluid, ouch!

Day 4:  Disneyland!  Dani felt up to going but was warned by her doctor not to go on the really jarring rides.  It was a great day and thanks to my mom and her handy-dandy handicap card, we got into the fast lane of all the long-line rides.  Even if one wasn’t handicap, one would be after waiting in some of those lines.  Douglas’ favorite ride was Splash Mountain which he went on twice.  Reed’s favorite was Indiana Jones, and Isaac’s favorite was Small World during which he asked, “does this one go down?”  He was much relieved when Chris said no.  Though he enjoyed Pirates of the Caribbean (one of my favorites), he didn’t like the surprise drops.  My mom, dad, and Dani stayed all the way until closing time while Chris, the boys and I left at around 10:30.  I had barely left the parking garage before they all fell asleep!

Day 5:  Recover from Disneyland.  We slept in.  I was aroused by the sound of a blaster and pirate swords in combat.  Grandma got them each a gift at Disneyland.  When she asked Douglas what he wanted, his only instruction was, “make sure it’s a weapon.”  Once we finally pulled ourselves together we went to the theater and saw the new “Night At The Museum” which we really enjoyed.  Because others we’ve talked to didn’t think it was as good as the first, we were prepared for a letdown, but instead were surprised at how entertaining it was.  Later that evening we found some more of those long lost people and had dinner. 

Day 6:  Time to go home.  Lift off was finally achieved at about 3pm CA time and we got to St. George at about 10pm.  There were a few reasons for our delay but I do not wish to embarrass anyone by saying why, but I can at least say, Pepto-Bismol was involved.  Me no eat at MacDonalds ever again!!!!!!!  Blech!!! 

Day 7:  Final leg, arm, toenail of our trip.  I believe the boys have mastered the ability to skillfully pee outdoors.  There just are not enough public facilities for boys with TWB’s (my dad’s term for teesy-weensy-bladders). But shyness for relieving themselves under the big blue sky was never an issue. I mentioned to Chris’ mom that I did indeed see the transformation of my kids from humanoid to monsteroid in the space of 2 days of travel.  Truly, blue fur, fangs, claws, and a strong roar were all included in their transformation.  It took all of today and a good long bath to wash away the monster side and my drain is now clogged with blue fur.

On the (mostly) whole, this was a fabulous vacation and a detoxification is to be expected when taking 3 very active boys anywhere further than the grocery store (no?  just mine?  really?!).  Thank you mom, dad, and Dani for keeping us housed and thoroughly entertained all week long.  We had an awesome time and I don’t think we even left any permanent marks on your walls!  We love you!!!!


Melissa said…
Sorry we missed you! I was really looking forward to talk to you in person for the first time in years! But we were all pretty miserable for a few days there and you probably didn't want to take any California germs home for a souvenier! Anyways, I am glad you had fun. We are planning to come up in the fall after Lawni's baby is born, so we will have to catch up with you then!
-Ang said…
Sounds like it was a blast! We were down in Cali a couple weeks ago for a vacation too :). Sorry I've been a bit absentee from the blogging world of late, but I'm slowly regaining presence.
And THANKS for the New Moon trailer. I'm going to have to put that on my blog too! It looks AWESOME! CAN'T WAIT!
Deanne said…
It sounds like a fun-filled trip! It's always nice to get away for a few days. Although sometimes you end up needing a vacation after your vacation just to recover!
mommymuse said…
Haha! My kids call McDonald's "that-restaurant-that-mommy-hates-and-won't-ever-eat-at." I don't recall a pepto-bismal moment coming from it, though, although it's been so many years that I may have just buried the memory.

Brave Mommy for taking on a trip of that magnitude!
Heatherlyn said…
What a fun trip! I miss the sand crabs of the southern CA coasts. I bet your boys had so much fun!!!
Melisa said…
That looks SO FUN! AWESOME! I want to see that new Night at the Musuem too! Glad to hear a good review!


Popular Posts